Thursday 12 July 2012

le cool issue *147

Mbuti Textiles 





Standing up close to one of these you become incredibly aware of the shakes in every scratchy stroke, the handmade bark cloth, the mild frankness of the flowing lines. But step away, Monet, and you are faced with statement abstract designs made to give the thickest, darkest flowing, blackest definite impression. The marks don't add up to anything formally. Every sheet builds upon the last and the patterns are ordered as to become more complex across the walls of the room. I love how they've been displayed, just pinned ever so by their corners, allowed to ripple away from the wall. I find that kind of thing very seductive. This will sound so pretentious but, anyway, I have a soft spot for tribal artistry. I love the unassuming, modest mentality behind art work made for ceremonial, religious or even just ornamental reasons. I'm a city slicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment