Thursday 3 November 2011

le cool issue # 116

Shoot the Sound

Peter Neill seems to be Ireland's established in-concert photographer. The acts recorded here are massive headliners. The pictures are of epic situations, luminous momentous stages. The people shown are so raised above reality to be godly figures. Icons. Shown in Christ Church Cathedral, an awesome building. Well, in its crypt. Is hanging the image of rock stars in a crypt a metaphor for their divine decline but also their enshrinement as relics of our times? U2? Foo Fighters? Elbow? Ah yeah, I'll give it to them. Not The Script though. I think they're shit. Whenever I go on dates I always ask the fella if he likes The Script as a sort of  compatibility test. Or else I ask if he ever murders people. I can tell either way it just wont work out if he does. This should be called Shoot The Script. HA.

The Faster I Walk, The Smaller I Am

A book launch. How novel. I think the last book launch I went to was for a big glossy coffee table book. And I ended up in the social pages for it. How times change. This is the debut novella (probably paperback) of Kjersti A. Skomsvold, translated by Kerri A. Pierce (until recently possibly more prominent than the author) from its original Norwegian edit. Literature these days is all about the words. I have to say - thankfully. I find a good novella so satisfying. The Faster I Walk, The Smaller I Am is the story of an old women awkwardly living out loneliness with complete honesty and feelings about a life she lived, not in the eyes of society, but in her eyes. Bittersweet, simply honest writing and thoughts. Listen up people, the following for this book is going to keep growing. I'm adamant. The world is in quite the right place.

Sweet le cool issue - HERE -

No comments:

Post a Comment